Reintroducing myself as [personal profile] dewline

Sep. 22nd, 2026 04:48 pm
dewline: Text - "On the DEWLine" (Default)
[personal profile] dewline posting in [community profile] findingfriends
Please keep in mind that all this is subject to revision.

Is there an interesting story behind your username?

My initials coincide with those of the Distant Early Warning Line, a network of installations that the US and Canada jointly set up during the First(?) Cold War. That's it, probably not all that interesting.

Location and language(s):

English, some French, a little Klingon and even less Vulcan.

Age range (e.g 20s, 30s, etc.):

I'm a Canadian Centennial Brat.

Hot button/deal breaker issues that will likely lead to unfriending:

No fascists, no TERFs, no MAGA or Maple MAGA. If you're looking to leave such things behind you forever, I'll probably be careful around you for a while.

Do you have an "About Me" post new friends can read to get a sense of who you are, the people you talk about regularly, etc.?

It needs updating.

Is your profile up-to-date or at all useful?

I believe so.

List a few things you think it's important new friends know about you right away:

As you'll see from my list of interests, I have touchstones in a lot of fandoms, a lot of hobbies and my attention will jump from topic to topic at the drop of just about any hat. I believe in Canada as an imperfect ideal, even as I recognize a lot of the lives and other precious things we've screwed up across the centuries. I think we can do and be better than we have done and been; That's part of my idea of (hopefully) non-toxic patriotism.

We have each other and a world at our backs to protect and heal, and a universe in front of us to explore to whatever degree we can. Let's do that together as best we can, okay?

You mostly write about:

Science fiction, and anything I can relate to it, realistically or not. Politics, from municipal to international. My health on occasion.

You never or very rarely write about:

Trying to figure out an answer to that one.

Is your journal mostly public, locked, or a mix of public and locked?

Mostly public, with specific topics treated as "locked".

Do you use filters for certain types of posts (e.g. fandom-related posts, or posts about sex, or mental health issues, etc.)?

The filter is usually whether I have it locked or not. If it's locked, it will involve someone else whose life I am trying to keep as uncomplicated as I can while still interacting with them. Probably someone who doesn't have an account here.

Your posting frequency (e.g. daily, every few days, weekly, etc.):

Ideally? A couple of times a week.

Does your journal frequently include any of the following: memes, linkspams, gifs, photos, videos, etc?

Links to specific items on my Flickr, DeviantArt and/or ArtStation accounts on occasion.

What do you enjoy most about journaling?

Mental health therapy. Mine.

How often do you read your friends list (e.g. daily, every other day, once a week, etc.)?

Daily.

You really enjoy reading about:

It's a wide range. Sorry to keep that vague.

You have very little interest in reading about:

See my comments on pro-fascist thought.

Your thoughts on journals that regularly include any of the following: memes, linkspams, gifs, photos, videos, etc?

Depends on the content.

When it comes to comments on your posts, what matters more -- quality or quantity?

Quality.

Do you unfriend people who don't comment much, even if you know they are reading you regularly?

Not as a rule.

What is your approach when it comes to commenting on other journals?

If I have a coherent comment to make...

When you friend someone, but things don't really click, do you unfriend them without warning, or do you send them a note first? How do you prefer to be unfriended in similar circumstances?

Being autistic, I may end up doing it without warning. I would prefer a warning for the same reason. If that makes me look a hypocrite, I'm sorry.

AND LASTLY

Friending memes often ask people to list their favourite TV shows, movies, books, etc., but more often than not, those aren't things people actually write about in their journal. Do you have any favourite TV shows, movies, books, etc., that you DO often write about -- not necessarily in a fandom sort of way, just in general?


Yes. Some of them are already covered on my interests list in my profile.

Any final thoughts you'd like to share with potential new friends?

I think that just about covers it for now.

(no subject)

Date: 2026-09-23 01:59 am (UTC)
the_siobhan: It means, "to rot" (Default)
From: [personal profile] the_siobhan
I am also a Canadian and we seem to have friends (or at least readers) in common, so I have added you.

Preview

Top of the Class layout for Tabula Rasa. Color theme: Spring Break. Having trouble? Make sure the box for Use Layout Stylesheet is checked.